Photobucket
 photo blogcollage_zps1d7c5074.jpg

September 11, 2011

Peach Butter and Spiced Peach Butter



I absolutely love the changing seasons and each new harvest that the good Lord gives us.  We were blessed with getting some extremely sweet and juicy peaches this season and I decided to make a good sized batch of Peach Butter.  It was a new learning experience for me, but it wasn't too hard and now I've learned an even easier method than the one I used for the first two batches which I'll share with you.

For one batch of Peach Butter or Spiced Peach Butter you'll need
18 medium peaches and 4 cups of sugar.  That's it besides the right equipment.  It can't get any simpler than that!

To prepare your peaches you'll want to first wash them and then drop them into boiling water for 30 seconds.  Then scoop them out of the boiling water and drop them into a sterilized sink filled with ice water to stop the cooking process.  Peel, pit and chop the peaches.  As you can see below, I didn't exactly chop them, I just kind of tore them into pieces and put them in the pot.


Cook the peaches until soft, adding only enough water to prevent sticking (about 1/2 cup).  The recipe says to then press the peaches through a sieve or food mill, but I just mixed them up in the blender about 1/2 a blender at a time.  Be careful doing this because of the steam.  The easier way I mentioned earlier, which I will share a link to, has to do with this part of the process. 

Pour the peach pulp into a large pot and add 4 cups of sugar.  Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon.  Now "round up on a spoon" sounds simple enough, but my mixture still wasn't doing that after more than an hour of simmering.  I think I had the heat on too low though.  

It never did "round up on a spoon" and it still turned out just like peach butter.  As the mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.  Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece caps and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.  Makes about 4 pints or so.  

Because I was having difficulty getting my mixture to round up on a spoon, I began to search for other recipes on the internet and found a much easier way to do it.  It consists of mixing your peaches and sugar into your crockpot and cooking it overnight for 6 to 12 hours on low.  Then mixing it with a stick mixer until it is the consistency you like.  I thought this sounded much easier, plus I had found a recipe for Spiced Peach Butter.....so I tried it out.  

The difference between Peach Butter and Spiced Peach Butter is only that you add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon with your sugar and peaches.  I began with only 1/2 teaspoon of each, but next year I will try the whole teaspoon of each.  I still put the peaches through the blender but then mixed it all up in the crockpot, turned it on low and went to bed.  The house smelled scrumptious when we woke up the next morning and the butter was done!  After breakfast I simply canned it up and water bathed it for 10 minutes.  The most time consuming aspect of this whole process was peeling the peaches and even that wasn't that hard.  

Apple Butter is next on my list and you better believe it's going in the crockpot over night!  Here's the link to where I found the crockpot idea.  Be sure to look all over this site if you like to preserve food because she has so many good recipes and information regarding how many tomatoes, beans, fruit ect. you will need for how ever many quarts you would like to end up with. 


9 comments:

  1. Oh we love peach butter! I put up so much last year that we have enough for another year at least. As time consuming as it was I wanted to make it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have enough now to last a few years, but I'm sure I'll give plenty away for others to enjoy. I wonder how it would be to use it for a meat marinade or baste with some hot spice added in??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Great job!

    I've never actually canned it but it's on my list. I haven't been canning long. I do make fruit butters tho, we love them! I just finished pearbutter. I rarely have enough fruit tho to make canning worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine and I went picking pears today....I'm hoping to have the time to make some pear butter tomorrow! The pear tree was so loaded, you can't even tell we got a few bushels from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peach butter looks delicious. Nice to use the fruit. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tasty! Never had this before this is the first time I have seen this - I had to google it lol! Am I right in thinking this is an alternative to jam - could be used on pancakes? Saw you on linky party and now gfc following you, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple butter, peach butter, pear butter, even pumpkin butter are great alternatives to jam. They are SO simple to make with only the fruit and sugar. The Pumpkin butter can be made into Pumpkin Pie butter like the Spiced Peach butter with extra spices. I tend to make much more butters than jams and they are great to use on everything...even as meat marinades if you so choose. Thank you for following Karima! I enjoy your blog and will be making some pajama bottoms real soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the Ozark Mountain Family Homestead!

We love hearing from readers who stop by and take the time to look at what is happening here in the Ozarks.

Thank you for stopping by and we hope ya'll come back again real soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share