Photobucket
 photo blogcollage_zps1d7c5074.jpg

August 29, 2011

Fresh Garden Macaroni Salad


Nothing says summer like a freshly made macaroni salad!  
It's easy to modify if you prefer one vegetable over another or maybe you just like to add in a fresh herb or two.  Our family recipe is one that changes depending on what is available in the garden that day, but here is the basics of it for you:


Macaroni Salad

1 (16 oz) package of noodles   
(Depending on what is in the cupboard I may use shell or elbow or rotini)

2 tomatoes

1/2 green pepper
(I usually end up with a whole pepper in there because I'll use some green, red and yellow bells)

1/2 red onion

1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed

1 tsp. celery seed

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Miracle Whip

Directions:

Cook the noodles as package states, drain and let cool.  Stir in enough Miracle Whip as you would like depending on how dry or creamy you like your salads.  Cube the vegetables and cheese and add to salad.  At this point I usually add a bit more Miracle Whip.  Then add the celery seed, salt and pepper and stir.  This recipe is very good, but to make it better, put it in the fridge and chill for a few hours or overnight for a great tasting salad.  Something about letting it set in the fridge for awhile makes everything blend really good.

I hope you enjoy this one before summer is over....it's surprising how fast this season has passed us by.  Please be sure to let me know if you have a favorite recipe and what extra you might add to this salad.  I enjoy hearing new ideas!  Also, please let me know if you make this recipe and how you like it!

Be sure to check out the Heirloom Salsa and the Sweet Stuffed Pepper for more garden fresh recipes too!

Have a blessed week!

 

8 comments:

  1. this is delicious. I had harvested a pepper the other day, onions, and tomatoes. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful recipe, I want to try this this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I'm going to try this with a GF pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! Perfect for Labor Day picnic, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya'll let me know how you like it please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm - that looks good! I love macaroni salad, and I especially love having recipes that I can play with based on what's in my garden on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds delicious. I have never made a macaroni salad. I am going to try this soon.

    May be difficult to find a tomato in my poor dry garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks so good! we will need to try making some with our gluten free pasta! I tend to forget we can do macaroni salad and our garden is exploding!thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the Ozark Mountain Family Homestead!

We love hearing from readers who stop by and take the time to look at what is happening here in the Ozarks.

Thank you for stopping by and we hope ya'll come back again real soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share